Learn how to be present by connecting to your breath.
When you’re aware of your subconscious responses to fear, you are more empowered to shake them off, become present, and consciously design your life with intention. Breath work can help you become more in tune to these responses.
An intention is a determination to act in a certain way. Intention comes from the Latin word intentio which means “a stretching out, effort, attention.” Intention also comes from intendere “to turn one’s attention too.” Which is prescient, because your energy flows where your attention goes.
When you set intentions, such as “I intend to be a source of kindness and compassion today,” your focus on that ideal shifts you away from repetitive thoughts and towards your highest self.
How can you create intentions that stretch you to be your best Self?
First, become present.
When you practice breath work as a ritual, you can become deeply present. This simple exercise helps you break free from your ego “monkey mind” and create space for the highest version of yourself to notice your thoughts.
How to Become Present with Your Breath (Inspired by The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle)
- Stand up on your feet.
- Wiggle and shake out any pent-up energy.
- Take a deep inhale up, through your root chakra, all the way up your body.
- Slowly exhale that breath. Imagine your breath coming out then deeply inhale, envisioning your breath as light and energy flowing in and up your body.
- On your exhale, envision that energy and light flowing down and out of your body, creating a protective bubble.
- Repeat this inhale and exhale visualization one more time.
- With your eyes closed, ask yourself, “What is my next thought going to be?”
- Wait for the next thought and observe it without judgment.
- Take another deep breath in and out.
What thought came up for you?
My guess is that your mind was clear. As long as you are in a state of intense presence, you are free of thoughts. Sometimes a feeling, like thankfulness, shows up. During intense presence, you’re in union with your mind, body, and soul. Your soul (aka spirit, intrinsic values, personal essence) is the witness that holds your highest and best.
That state is precisely the place from which you want to set intentions and design your best life, heck even just your day. Take a moment to envision your future and decide how you want to feel NOW.
We don’t need to be led by logic. When the logical mind is in control, we lose our intense presence, and the ego rushes in with self-doubt, struggle, fear, and anxiety. Logic, ego, and fear-based responses have led us to where we are now… which is illogical, and not in alignment with moving you towards your highest and best.
So, do some breath work, set an intention, and live the highest and best version of your Self.
READY TO SPARK CHANGE IN YOUR LIFE AND LEADERSHIP?